Pending decision on my Asylum Case.

Newark, NJ |

Is there a reason for the Newark's asylum office for not giving a decision on my asylum case even after 3 months ? I had an asylum interview on February then I was handed out NOID (Notice of intent to deny) the week after for being in legal status. I submitted new evidences within 16 days and now it has been 3 months since I submitted my new evidences and haven't got any decision made on my case yet.

3 months? It is within reasonable time in Newark. They are overwhelmed with cases and their supervisors, who need to sign off on a case are very busy.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS www.myattorneyusa.com; email: info@myattorneyusa.com; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.

Usually what kind of decisions are common if the wait is this long in the Newark Asylum office?

Alexander Joseph Segal

Alexander Joseph Segal

You cannot predict that nor should you.

So why did they give me a NOID within a week?

Alexander Joseph Segal

Alexander Joseph Segal

I do not know your case and cannot tell you. I think it has to do with the way the bureaucracy works there.

There's definitely a reason. There's just no way for anyone on this forum to know what it is without information about your case and contacting the asylum office on your behalf.

A determination on your asylum claim cannot be made overnight. I agree with my colleagues - this is within a reasonable amount of time. You will have to wait it out.

VOSBIKIAN & VOSBIKIAN, L.L.C. (856) 755-1400, e-mail: ssvosbikian@voslaw.com - Offices in Atlantic City, Cherry Hill, Newark, and Trenton, NJ. Please consult with a licensed immigration professional to provide you with a thorough legal advice. This response is not a substitute for specific legal advice and it should not be construed to create an attorney-client relationship. Please visit and share this site: www.voslaw.com

Steven Sahag Vosbikian

Steven Sahag Vosbikian

Issuing a NOID within a week has no connection with the time it takes to make a decision on your case. I hope you had an attorney file your claim. There is a 19% success rate for affirmative asylum application filed in Newark, and your chances at succeeding are much worse if you file pro se. I hope you had an attorney and if you didn't, you may want to speak with one if your case is referred to an immigration judge. The fact that you were issued a NOID is a red flag that your case was not well-receieved. Good luck.

Recommended articles about Immigration