Penalty of drinking alcohol in Georgia

Atlanta, GA |

My brother had a very stressful day and was caught drinking alcohol on the street after buying it. He just got a ticket to show up in court and i wonder what will be the charges and what are the penalties he could face at the court. any jail times ? Does he need to hire a lawyer ? What can he do in the mean time ? Will this affect his record ?

How old is your brother? If he is under 21 he should definitely hire a lawyer.

He s over 21, he s 29 years old

Noah Howard Pines

Noah Howard Pines

He can hire a lawyer if he wants but he should only be looking at a fine.

Will this affect his record for background check whenever he s looking for a job ?

Noah Howard Pines

Noah Howard Pines

It depends on several factors. I would need to ask him some questions before I can answer that question.

Ok what are the questions ?

He was probably charged with a city ordinance which does possibly carry jail time, but I doubt he will get any. If he is over 21 years old he doesn't have to worry about it suspending his driver's license. It's always a good idea to hire a lawyer to see if this charge can go away.

James L. Yeargan, Jr. is licensed to practice law in the State of Georgia. All information given is based only on Georgia law, and is not directly applicable to any other jurisdictions, states, or districts. Any answer given assumes the person who asked the question holds a Georgia Drivers License, and this license is not a commercial drivers license (CDL). This response, or any response, is not legal advice. This response, or any response, does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information. Any state specific concerns should be directed to an attorney who is licensed to practice law in that respective state.

He s over 21 years old and he wasn't driving, he was around downtown drinking a little bit before catching his train

James Lawrence Yeargan Jr.

James Lawrence Yeargan Jr.

That's good. If you're under 21 it will suspend your license even if you're not driving. I assume his case is in The Municipal Court of Atlanta. I used to be a prosecutor there. He is most likely facing a $150 fine.

Will this affect his record or background whenever he s looking for a job ?

Is he under 21? Then he needs a lawyer to try to keep this off his record. He can expect a fine, community service hours and an alcohol and drug evaluation.

If he is over 21 then a citation for drinking in public will just carry a fine.