PENAL CODE 11359

Asked over 2 years ago - Van Nuys, CA

My 16 year old son was charged with penal code 11359, for possesion and sale of marijuana. He is now 18, and I have filed an expungement asking the court to reduce the charge to a misdemeanor. He has complied with all of the provisions of his probation and completed a drug program successfully. The day of the hearing the judge said that Pen. Code was not a "wobbler" and therefore denied the petition for expungement. What exactly did he mean? does this mean that this violation cannot be lowered to a misdemeanor and therefore cannot be expunged? please help.

1. Chris J Feasel

4

Answered . A "wobbler" is an offence that can be charged as either a misdemeanor or a felony. HS 11359 (which is the sale or transportation of marijuana; 11358 is possession for sale) is not a wobbler - it is a straight felony. Now the judge might have been wrong in that you CAN move for a post conviction dismissal (there is no such thing as expungement in California) without having it reduced to a misdemeanor. The question is - why? As a minor, he can petition to have his record sealed, which is eminently better. Was be being assisted by an attorney? You should go back to that person and get his record sealed.

2. Tai Christopher Bogan

Pro

1

Answered . Procedurally you have it all wrong. Hire an a lawyer and be done with it. What you are wanted to do is SEAL the juvenile record. You already made too many mistakes. This process should be of minimal cost.

The above information does not establish an attorney client relationship nor is it meant to provide legal advice.
  3. David Jon Pullman

1

Answered . It sounds like you are trying to do a lawyer's job without a lawyer and messing things up. All you have to do is petition the court to seal his juvenile record, now that he is 18. Hire a lawyer to do this. Good luck to you.