Skip to main content

Pd attorney $2000 retainer for DUI - controlled substance - he didn't show up at arraignment -hasn't filed entry of appearance.

Allentown, PA |

Don't know what to do at this point. I understand he could have waived the arraignment. Of all that we discussed at intial meeting, he has done almost nothing on my case. Controlled substance was legitimate prescription drug taken due to chronic illness. I have no more money to retain another attorney. Was refused ARD and there is a status conference scheduled for August. His paralegal says he will be conferring with the DA prior to conference. He won't talk to me directly. Right now feels like I don't have any representation. Please advise.

Attorney Answers 3

  1. Best answer

    Unfortunately the system is not very fast. It is not uncommon for things to happen the way you described. Once your attorney gets all the discovery he should be in a much better position to talk with you about possible defenses and what your options are. I on the other hand feel that communication between attorney and client throughout this whole process is very important so hopefully you will get to talk with him soon whether he has discovery or not. I hope things work out for you.

  2. That is more or less how the system works. Until he has discovery, there is nothing to discuss anyway — remember, in criminal court, everything happens IN COURT. And your PTC is in August — the DA hasn't even given much thought to your case.

    So relax — there is tremendous time for this all to sort itself out. Remember that the process is very, very slow, and that you are just at the beginning.

  3. I agree with my colleagues regarding the procedure but I do think that the attorney should pick up the phone and speak with you. If your stuck with him I can't say what to do other than to make sure all your questions are answered before you make an decisions regarding your case.

    This information does not create an attorney /client relationship and should not be use or relied upon to make any decision in your case. Only consultation with your own attorney can provide you with the advice you need for your case.

Criminal defense topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics