Paying shoplifting ticket without court hearing

Palatine, IL |

So I was caught shoplifting the other day and the police were involved. No arrest was made. They just gave me a ticket and asked me to pay a $100 fine. There was a Request for court hearing but the police who gave me the ticket told me that I can go to it in hopes of lowering the fine but he discouraged me not to go anyway cause I admitted I did it.

Should I just pay the fine to end this whole fiasco cause I'm confused about what to do.

Do not pay anything until you discuss your legal options in full confidentially with a local practicing attorney, otherwise doing it recklessly without a counsel would be creating a second fiasco for your future's employment and educational prospects.

DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general information and a basic understanding of the applicable law. Take notice that the answer above does not create an attorney-client relationship as this website is not intended to provide anyone a specific legal advice. Anyone using the site expressly consents that there is no attorney client privilege between any person and any attorney responding. Further take notice that the site should not be used as a crude substitute for any professional and competent legal advice by a licensed professional attorney in the applicable jurisdiction. The attorney above attempted to provide competent professional opinion, however, the law and its applications may change frequently and vary greatly from other U.S. jurisdictions and locales. Therefore, any information and opinions stated above are general in nature, and may not apply to specific factual or legal circumstances related to one's current legal issues. Contact an experienced lawyer admitted to practice in your State under an attorney-client privilege to further receive a comprehensive legal before making an educated decision about your particular legal issue. If you have further inquiries you may contact: Attorney Alexander Ivakhnenko 1021 West Adams, 102, Chicago, Illinois 60607 773-562-8602 http://alexanderivakhnenko.com

I called the city hall about the ticket, the woman who answered told me that once I pay the fine I need not go to the hearing.

Alexander M. Ivakhnenko

Alexander M. Ivakhnenko

Which part of "Do not pay anything until you discuss your legal options in full confidentially with a local practicing attorney" you did not understand?

Alexander M. Ivakhnenko

Alexander M. Ivakhnenko

Thank you kindly for marking the answer as helpful.

Same answer as your last post, hire an attorney to review your paperwork.

Police officers are among the worst people to turn to for legal advice.
Contact an attorney and discuss your case. Despite your alleged admission, there may be alternative dispositions that could result in charges being dropped.
Paying the fine will require a plea of guilty and will likely result in a conviction.

Alexander M. Ivakhnenko

Alexander M. Ivakhnenko

I would add the the statement " Police officers are among the worst people to turn to for legal advice. "The police officers are not the worst people. The officers simply legally cannot provide any legal advice to anyone not being licensed attorneys.

Jeffrey Allen Fagan

Jeffrey Allen Fagan

no disrespect to police officers was intended. most of them simply don't know. I've had too many clients tell me that an officer offered advice that is contrary to what is best for a defendant.

It's most likely best to pay your fine and be done with it (assuming it's a municipal non-criminal ticket) because there is not a strong cost benefit to contest it. Typically, municipalities add court costs if you go to court. So your ticket could be $190 if you go to court. However, if you are a minor (under 18) community service may be available. All that being said, it is always advisable to consult with an attorney about your specific situation.

This is not intended to be legal advice and no attorney client relationship exists by virtue of this answer. Your matter may be time sensitive and you may lose your right to purse the matter via the passage of time. It is always advisable to speak with a lawyer and discuss the merits of your claim or defense.

You should absolutely confer with an attorney prior to paying this ticket. Shoplifting, or Retail Theft, is a crime of dishonesty, and even if it is just a local ordinance "ticket", prospective future employers may be able to see the public record of the case. Many are reluctant to hire someone who has such a case, even if it is not charged under State Law as a misdemeanor ticket. Many jurisdictions offer a diversion program if you go to court, such that if you complete an anti-theft course or perform volunteer work, they will dismiss the ticket outright. While it may prove more costly in the short-term, the long term effect of just paying a fine can be significant.