Paying Restitution Fee, Don't Know What's Going to Happen

Asked about 1 year ago - Springfield, NJ

I was approached by a Loss Prevention Detective and he interviewed me. I was so nervous; I thought he knew something, or that he caught me. He began to explain how they have cameras all over the vicinity, and then he proceeded to ask me "What did you steal?" He didn't provide any footage (I would've asked to see it, but that would be defending my wrongdoings?) I didn't want to risk anything, so I told the truth. I stole approximately $320 of merchandise. The detective then said that this is only between me and the store. There were no police officers. The meeting was between my manager, the detective, and I.

I wrote a written report, of what I stole, how I stole it, as well as a long paragraph about how i have to pay beak they give me restitution note.

1. Mark M Cheser

Pro

2

Answered . You can be charged for five years because $320 is a 4th degree crime. But they likely will not if they have not but they could. If you pay the $150 civil demand they still can charge you but they likely will not. They may not charge you if you do not pay or they may either way. Read the AVVO archives for all the different opinions. You seem cavalier about theft.

2. Eric M. Mark

Pro

2

Answered . And your question is?

3. Michael R Crosner

Answered . Immediately consult a local criminal law attorney to discuss how best to handle this matter going forward - many offer free initial consultations