Payed $2.000.00 retainer was told it would resolve a restrain order and DV comp. was mail a bill for an additional $2,120.00

Ridgefield Park, NJ |

Only retrain order was dismissed. Was not informed of additional charges would occurred.

1. See your retainer agreement. It will outline the detail for you.

2. I agree with Mr. Brinkmeier, you have to read your contract. It seems you thought the contract was "pay me $2,000 and that will get the job done." But the contract probably doesn't say that at all. Good luck!

If you think my response is the best response, it would help me if you would indicate that. Also, please note that my responses to question(s) are NOT legal advice from me to you because I am NOT your lawyer, you are NOT my client, and we do NOT currently have an attorney-client relationship. Thanks!

3. You need to re-read what you signed and address your concerns with the attorney you retained.

DISCLAIMER This answer is provided for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you agree and understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site cannot be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices law in the State where this offense is charged; and, who has experience in the area of law you are asking questions about and with whom you would have an attorney client relationship. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question, or in the State where this charge is filed. I am an attorney licensed to practice in the State of New Jersey. Consult a local attorney if your case arises outside the State of New Jersey. If you found this answer to be HELPFUL then you can vote that this answer was helpful. If you found this answer to be the BEST ANSWER of all those presented, then you can vote that this answer was the best answer presented. Also, please be advised that any response to any comments made by the asker do not create an attonrey client relationship.

4. Generally, a retainer is not a cap on the amount that can be charged. Look at the retainer agreement. Unless it was a "flat fee" retainer ("I will do X for $Y") the retainer amount does not necessarily act as a cap on fees.

This answer does not constitute legal advice nor form an attorney client relationship. I am not your lawyer. If you have a legal issue in Maryland, Virginia, or the District of Columbia, you may contact me for a free consultation.