Paternity test result not available before child turns 2 years old. will I be obliged to pay child support even I am not parent?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Redmond, WA

trying to schedule paternity test right now, however child will be 2 years old in a few days. Will I be responsible for his support even if the future paternity test proves I am not the father?

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Kate M Forrest

    Contributor Level 15


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Paternity can still be challenged until the child turns 4, but after age 2 the child must be made a party to the action, so it complicates things--you should really hire an attorney to help you with this.

    Avvo answers are attorney opinions offered for informational purposes only, and should not be relied upon as legal... more

Related Topics

Child support

Child support is a payment made from one parent to another parent (usually from non-custodial to custodial), to help ensure the child's financial needs are met.

Child support and paternity tests

Before paying (or asking for) child support, paternity test(s) can be done to establish legal parenthood in cases where it's not clear who a child's father is.

Avvo Staff

An Overview of Paternity

This legal guide explains paternity, as well as related issues to the subject, such as paternity tests and child support.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

29,296 answers this week

3,376 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

29,296 answers this week

3,376 attorneys answering