Passport Renewal with splitting names

Asked 8 months ago - Hopkins, MN

My passport has the below name mentioned
Given Name : AA BB CC
SurName :
It expires Sep 2014, hence want it to be renewed as I am travelling to India around April 2014.
My Visa has name
SurName - AA BB CC
Given Name - FNU

However, my I94 or Drivers license does not have FNU written on it. It has AA BB CC which is fine.

My questions are:
1. I need to apply for my passport renewal, I would want to split my name in the passport as
Given Name : AA
SurName : BB CC
Do I need to provide a newspaper advertisement for the same? Can I do it without an advertisement.
2. Would the new passport with split names cause any issues if I am extending my visa in future?
3. Since I am travelling to India for a vacation in April should I have passport valid till 6 months minimum?

Attorney answers (2)

  1. F. J. Capriotti III

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Is this a US passport? If not, then you're asking this question on the wrong forum.

    If it is for an Indian passport ... talk to someone in the Indian government.

    PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It... more
  2. Irina Alexander Vinogradsky

    Contributor Level 15


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Contact Indian embassy .

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,110 answers this week

2,776 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,110 answers this week

2,776 attorneys answering