Passport renew advice i-94 requirements. Can the new passport used if expired i-94? overstayed visa might caught.

Fair Lawn, NJ |

my consulate requires i-94 status photocopy to renew foreign passport. i-94 expired would reveal overstayed. New Passport has microchip that stores i-94 status. Do my consulate alert homeland security? Does T S A check status and alert homeland security?

Let me clarify what seem to be 2 quickly spreading misconceptions:
1. Your consulate should not and in my humble opinion does not "alert" a US government agency. It should have better things to do with its time than harm its own citizens whom it's there to "serve" and assist.
2. No, to the best of my knowledge since the TSA was first created, TSA agents at airports do NOT check one's immigration status when one presents a foreign passport at at security line.

Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

Instead of asking whether you would get caught trying to travel as an overstay, why not consult an immigration lawyer and see if there is anything that can be done about your overstay? That would seem more sensible. Good luck.

*IMPORTANT: Do not rely on Attorney Murray's response as the information provided on this website is NOT legal advice nor is it a substitute for legal advice which requires a consultation with a lawyer. Attorney Murray's response does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. If you have any specific questions concerning a legal issue, you should consult a lawyer. You should never delay seeking legal advice, disregard legal advice, or commence or discontinue any legal action because of information on a Q&A website such as Avvo. Attorney Murray's response was generated without conducting a full inquiry as would occur during an attorney-client consultation. It is likely that the response above may be made less accurate, or become entirely inaccurate, as you, i.e. the questioner, disclose additional facts that should only be discussed during a private attorney-client consultation. I strongly recommend that you consult an attorney who is licensed to practice law in your state (or, in the case of immigration law, an attorney in ANY state), whereupon all relevant facts will be discussed. All responses posted on Avvo are intended as general information for the education of the public, and not for any specific individual. New Jersey residents: NO ASPECT OF THIS ADVERTISEMENT HAS BEEN APPROVED BY THE SUPREME COURT OF NEW JERSEY. The selection methodology for the SuperLawyers' "Rising Stars" awards is set forth at length at this website:

It would have helped if you told us what country you are from.

As my colleague stated:

1. It is quite rare for a foreign consul to alert ICE so that they will arrest one of 'their own'.
2. TSA doesn't 'normally' run checks on people. But, ICE does and it's not impossible for TSA to contact ICE personnel, if they have an office in the airport.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.

Recommended articles about Immigration