Passport Maiden Name.. Green Card Married Name

Asked about 1 year ago - Boise, ID

I am planning to travel to Philippines this April . . . I just got my green card 3 months ago , and my passport will expire on Oct . 2013 . My passport has still has my Maiden Name , and Married name on Green Card , will I get trouble in immigration on this ? I'll be renewing my passport in the Philippines and will have my married name in it , so I should be OK when I get back ?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Sasha O. Lazarevich-Sinnott

    Contributor Level 12


    Lawyers agree

    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . You should apply for a new passport on an expedited basis before you travel out of the United States to prevent issues at the border.

  2. Giacomo Jacques Behar


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . You should renew your passport under your married name, to match your name on your green card. Hopefully you also applied for, and obtained a state issued ID and a social security card under your married name.

    Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be... more
  3. Alexander Joseph Segal


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . I find both of colleagues answers sufficiently insightful. You will not get trouble with immigration on this. Our immigration system is complex and cumbersome. Sometimes overly bureaucratic too. But not on this particular issue.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

24,109 answers this week

2,750 attorneys answering

Legal Dictionary

Don't speak legalese? We define thousands of terms in plain English.

Browse our legal dictionary