Passport Maiden Name.. Green Card Married Name

Boise, ID |
Filed under: Immigration Green cards

I am planning to travel to Philippines this April . . . I just got my green card 3 months ago , and my passport will expire on Oct . 2013 . My passport has still has my Maiden Name , and Married name on Green Card , will I get trouble in immigration on this ? I'll be renewing my passport in the Philippines and will have my married name in it , so I should be OK when I get back ?

You should apply for a new passport on an expedited basis before you travel out of the United States to prevent issues at the border.

If I can't do it on time, which name will I put for my airline ticket? Thanks for your advice

Sasha O. Lazarevich-Sinnott

Sasha O. Lazarevich-Sinnott

It is my opinion that you should not travel without changing your name on the passport. They are not going to just believe that you are the same person because you say so and it will probably lead to issues at the border. Passport applications can be expedited and you should start on the process right away.

Sasha O. Lazarevich-Sinnott

Sasha O. Lazarevich-Sinnott

And the name on your ticket should reflect your current legal name.

You should renew your passport under your married name, to match your name on your green card. Hopefully you also applied for, and obtained a state issued ID and a social security card under your married name.

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

Yes, I have a state I.D and Social Security Card with my married name on it. Thank you for your time.

Giacomo Jacques Behar

Giacomo Jacques Behar

You are very welcome. Don't forget to designate a "Best Answer", as well as a "Helpful" one.

I find both of colleagues answers sufficiently insightful. You will not get trouble with immigration on this. Our immigration system is complex and cumbersome. Sometimes overly bureaucratic too. But not on this particular issue.