Passport

Asked almost 7 years ago - Washington

Do I need to have my foreign passport to apply for US citizenship?

1. Sok-khieng K. Lim

Answered . You do not need a foreign passport to apply for US citizenship. You will, however, need a copy of your legal permanent resident card to show your eligibility to apply for citizenship. With that said, it is always a good idea to have a foreign passport and/or a copy of a birth certificate when dealing with immigration matters.

2. Shawn Cheng Hsien Chou

1

1

Answered . Having a foreign passport is not a requirement for naturalization.

The link takes you to the USCIS website with information on Naturalization requirements.

3. Shawn Cheng Hsien Chou

1

1

Answered . Here's the missing link.

4. Eli Mayer Kantor

Answered . Technically, you don't have to have it. However, Form N-400 asks questions about every trip that you made outside the US during the preceding 5 years, dates and locations. Your passport is usually the best way to obtain this information.

5. Nikki Mehrpoo Jacobson

Answered . The Immigration Officer may always ask to see your passport at the N-400 interview and may inquire as to why you do not have it. It may raise red flags.