Partner's going to prison but we want to tie the knot - what's the difference between a domestic partnership and marriage.... pa

Asked over 1 year ago - New York, NY

My partner is about to go to prison and we want to tie the knot before he goes. The problem is that we have to wait until 7/24 to go to the marriage clerk if we want to get married (which just cuts it too close to his prison date) so I want to understand the difference between a domestic partnership and marriage before we decide what to do.

1. David P. Badanes

1

Answered . There are so many differences, impossible to state them all. You need to talk to an attorney.

2. Anne Peyton Bryant

Pro

Answered . The differences are enormous. Essentially a domestic partnership gets just about nothing except health insurance. There are more than a thousand federal and state rights inherent in marriage...and in the case of prison, conjugal visits is one of them. Speak to an attorney well versed on family law.

3. Stephen Ross Cohen

1

Answered . Consult a PA attorney by checking the tab above"Find a Lawyer"