Partner's going to prison but we want to tie the knot - what's the difference between a domestic partnership and marriage.... pa

New York, NY |
Filed under: Marriage and prenups

My partner is about to go to prison and we want to tie the knot before he goes. The problem is that we have to wait until 7/24 to go to the marriage clerk if we want to get married (which just cuts it too close to his prison date) so I want to understand the difference between a domestic partnership and marriage before we decide what to do.

1. Consult a PA attorney by checking the tab above"Find a Lawyer"

My name is Stephen R. Cohen and have practiced 39+ yrs. I can be reached at 213-819-1171. I practicein Los Angeles and Orange County, CA. I give only appointments over the phone., these services do not create an attorney client relationship. My answers may offend as I do not believe in pulling punches or sugar coating the truth, I use common sense as well as the law. Other state's laws may differ and I would appreciate it if you feel like marking my answers helpful or best. There are a lot of really good attorneys on this site, I will do limited appearances which are court documents , less expensive.

2. There are so many differences, impossible to state them all. You need to talk to an attorney.

3. The differences are enormous. Essentially a domestic partnership gets just about nothing except health insurance. There are more than a thousand federal and state rights inherent in marriage...and in the case of prison, conjugal visits is one of them. Speak to an attorney well versed on family law.

Marriage and prenups topics