Skip to main content

Partner rights for same-sex marriage

Nashville, TN |

Hi . I'm in the US with a student - visa and in a same - sex relationship . My partner and I wish to get married in one of the states were it is legal to do so . She is a fellow non - US person , and she has a 10 year tourist visa to the US . We were thinking about the possibility of her staying with me for a semester while I attend grad school . Is there any way in which we could legally change her status to a partner visa ( 2 ) so that she would have no issue staying on the US with a tourist visa for so long ? Thanks !

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


There is no such thing as a, "partner," visa and same sex relationships are not recognised as immediate relatives.


I agree with my colleague. You should consult an experienced immigration attorney for this matter. You may schedule a consultation with an immigration lawyer in your area, my firm is handling these matters in New York.

Att. number 917-885-2261 This advice does not create an attorney client relationship. No specific legal advice may be offered by the lawyer until a conflicts check is undertaken. Information sent through a web form or via email may not be treated as confidential. Please accept my apologies for spelling mistakes. Law Office of Alena Shautsova

Family law topics

Recommended articles about Family law

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer