Partner and I cohabitated for 10 yrs in Ca; he now left; took car he helped me finance; I cannot go to work

Asked over 1 year ago - Thousand Oaks, CA

Promised to payrent and make pmts on car; my other car was used as a down payment of $10,000; car in his name; didn't pay rent as promised either and took our dog;;; what are my rights. i only work part time; still has roomful of belongings here.

1. Edna Carroll Straus

2

Answered . The Marvin case says you can sue... but that case and such situations general say it's not likely to sort you out. Your only easily accessed "rights" and to dispose if the belongings and MAYBE to sue in small claims court ti get your dog back. Not every human error can be fixed by a lawsuit, Boston Legal (a show I love BTW) notwithstanding.

Good luck

2. Isileli Tupou Manaia Mataele

1

Answered . You can sue him for the agreement to pay rent and for your amount of the down payment. Also custody of the dog needs to be worked out. You can't do anything about support if you were not married.

3. Robert Andrew Michael Burns

Answered . You have an obligation in pursuing a claim for damages to mitigate your losses. I'd get a rental car rather than lose work unless your work is poorly paying.