Partition Action In California, Attorney fees go to Plaintiff?

Fresno, CA |

In a partition action do each pay their own legal fees or the plaintiff gets his paid by the defendant?

In CA fees and costs of petition actions are governed by C.C.P. section 874.010 et seq. “Except as otherwise provided in this article, the court shall apportion the costs of partition among the parties in proportion to their interests or make such other apportionment as may be equitable.” 874.040.

The costs of partition include reasonable attorney's fees incurred by a party for the common benefit, the fee and expenses of the referee and persons employed by the referee, the costs of a title report, and other expenses determined by the court to be incurred for the common beneft.

“The costs of partition include reasonable expenses, including attorney's fees, necessarily incurred by a party for the common benefit in prosecuting or defending other actions or other proceedings for the protection, confirmation, or perfection of title, setting the boundaries, or making a survey of the property, with
interest thereon at the legal rate from the time of making the expenditures.” 874.020

I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for general information only. They are not legal advice. Answers must not be relied upon. Legal advice must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for legal advice. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference

Recommended articles about Lawsuits and disputes