Skip to main content

Partition Action, deed seems to say I have half but I paid one fourth of down payment.

San Francisco, CA |

I am being sued for partition with a referee being named.
The deed says that I and the plaintiff own the property.
I am told that it means half ownership.
But then I am told that will not be the case when the referee sees that I paid only one fourth.

Attorney Answers 4


Did you have a question? Who is telling you these things? If it is your attorney, ask for clarification. If it is not your attorney, I would not worry about it.

By the very nature of Avvo, you have only provided limited facts and no documentation, therefore, our response to your question is treated only as a hypothetical, and as such it is merely general in nature. You should not rely on this response in taking or forgoing action in your circumstances without discussing this matter with an attorney. If we had the opportunity to ask you sufficient questions and review relevant documents so that we were satisfied we had all of the relevant facts and circumstances, our response might differ significantly. Without the opportunity to ask you questions, and review all relevant documents and memoranda, we are simply unable to provide any form of legal advice. Our response to your question does not create any attorney-client relationship between us, and we are not acting as your attorney. We reserve the right to decline representation in any case. By answering your question, we are under no obligation to answer further questions. There are very specific deadlines for filing a lawsuit, replying to a lawsuit filed against you, or taking other action in order to preserve your legal rights. You should contact an attorney immediately in order to be fully advised of your rights, and so that you are aware of those deadlines. If you fail to act within the required time frame, you might be forever barred from asserting your rights or defending your position. The attorney answering this question is licensed in Illinois and Iowa only.

Mark as helpful


The issue may not be whether you own 1/2 or 1/4, but what were your contributions to the purchase and carrying costs.

In a partition action, the referee will perform an accounting. As part of the accounting, the referee may consider your initial contributions to purchasing the property as well as any subsequent contributions in order to apportion the proceeds of sale.

I am not a CA attorney, laws vary from state to state, therefore you should always consult a local attorney.

If this answer was helpful, please mark it as helpful or as a best answer. This answer is for general education purposes only. It neither creates an attorney-client relationship nor provides legal guidance or advice. The answer is based on the limited information provided and the answer might be different had additional information been provided. You should consult an attorney.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees


The partition referee's job normally is just to facilitate a sale of the property. The judge will be the one making a determination as to how the sales proceeds as distributed.

Upon granting judgment partitioning by sale of the property, the court will order that the proceeds of the sale pay the encumbrances thereon, and the net proceeds thereof then be divided between the parties in an equitable amount to be determined by the court, in addition to allowance, accounting, contribution, or other compensatory adjustment among the parties according to principles of equity, pursuant to California Code of Civil Procedure section 872.140.

In such a partition action, the parties are entitled to present evidence of why the court ought to distribute the proceeds differently than the ownership percentages.

Frank W. Chen has been licensed to practice law in California since 1988. The information presented here is general in nature and is not intended, nor should be construed, as legal advice for a particular case. This posting does not create any attorney-client relationship with the author. For specific advice about your particular situation, please consult with your own attorney.

Mark as helpful


First of all, having been involved in many of these cases, you should focus on resolving the matter prior to a forced sale of the property. The ONLY ones that win in these types of cases are the attorneys. Further, if the court finds that the partition action was in the best interest of the property, you may be forced to shoulder the legal expense.

That said, the referee will likely perform an accounting and will make adjustments for contributions and related issues. Once the property is sold, and the accounting is complete, the court will make the final order.

As to the way title is held, although you may hold a one- half interest, the court will look at substance over form and simply do the math as to the payments for the property. That said, there may be a reason you will be entitled to credit for a half interest in the proceeds of sale notwithstanding that you paid for only 1/4th. For example, if the plaintiff is the one that actually deeded the property to you, he may have gifted the other 1/4 interest to you or may have agreed to give it to you in exchange for your services or other consideration. In such case, you will be entitled to 1/2 of the proceeds from the sale.

Similarily, if you obtained the one-half interest from someone other than the plaintiff, you have a great argument that it is none of the plaintiff's business what you paid for the 1/2 interest and you will be entitled to 1/2 of the proceeds from the sale, regardless of the fact that you only paid for 1/4th.

The court will take all of these things into consideration.

Good luck.....but whatever you can possibly do, within reason, to resolve this type of case quickly before it gets out of hand from a legal expense standpoind.

Mark as helpful

Real estate topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics