Parking Ticket for parking in a fire lane in a Gated Apartment Community.

Killeen, TX |

I live in a gated apartment complex. My car was disabled and it was parked in a parking slot where part of the vehicle was partially in a fire lane. I was not blocking any traffic or near any fire hydrant. There is no street name. I then received a ticket for "parking where prohibited (fire lane)." The whole street is a fire lane and where I was parking was off the fire lane. I then found out that the Property Manager has contracted with a Killeen Police Officer who is a Courtesy Officer. The Police Officer apparently was on active patrol duty but was allegedly visiting his apartment at the same time he issued me the ticket. The Property Manager indicated she did not contact or call the police. I believe the officer was double dipping while on partrol duty. The ticket is $564.00.

1. Fire lanes are regulated, even on private property. It is much the same as handicap parking places in private parking lots, they are still subject to ticketing.

John Yetter