Parking Infraction in Handicapped Zone.

Asked over 4 years ago - Seattle, WA

The other night I had parked on the side of the road. I saw a yellow line so I parked in front of it knowing it wasnt lawful to park there. However, I ended recieving a parking ticket for illegaly parking in an handicapped zone. I do not have any idea how did so when a handicap zone marker was not on a sign or near the yellow line i parked to (I have a witness to verify this). So is there a way I can get this $250 ticket reduced or dismissed? Theres no way I can pay this as a student.

1. Alan James Brinkmeier

Answered . You freely admit you knowingly parked illegally, so you are going to have a hard time, in not an impossible time, defending based on the claim you had no idea the violation was parking in a handicap zone.

It's not a great idea to represent yourself in traffic court. You do, however, have the constitutional right to do so. I would recommend spending an entire day in the traffic court to observe how judges handle self-represented defendants to get an idea of how irritated they get at amateur lawyering. If you really want to represent yourself, you should purchase an hour of a traffic attorney's time to have her or him coach you on how to handle things.

A better choice is simply to hire an attorney.