Parents arrived to usa with green card. Can I get them financial support?

Asked about 1 year ago - Chicago, IL

Seniors live with me. Put their savings, $3000, in American bank. I am their daughter and American citizen. I am unemployed and husband retired US citizen. We are paying mortgage on our home.

1. Mary Kathleen Neal

5

Answered . How did they get their green cards? If you petitioned for them, then you signed an I-864 affidavit of support. That affidavit of support is exactly what it says it is--and agreement to support the immigrants. You and any co-sponsors are the ones who are responsible for supporting your parents. As new permanent residents, they will not be eligible for most government benefits for at least 5 years.

See link below for more about the I-864 and duty of support.

2. Stephen D. Berman

5

Answered . If you are asking if they are eligible for federal, needs based public benefits, no they are not. If you are asking about State of Illinois or local benefits, probably they can get these. Your affidavit of support makes you liable to reimburse any public funds used to support your parents.

3. Gunda Johanna Brost

Pro

4

Answered . There is no reason why you, their daughter, should not be able to support them financially of your own volition. As for the government being obligated to, that is another story (see previous responses given on state and federal assistance eligibility). If you signed an affidavit of support on your parents' behalf, you indeed have certain financial obligations to them, whether you now want to or not. But the way your question was asked sounds to me like you are willing to help them out and from what I can see in your fact pattern there should be no reason why you can't. Hope this helps.

4. Alexander M. Ivakhnenko

Answered . Not federal, yet, some Illinois financial support may be possible, please inquire at the respective state office further at the link below:
    http://www.benefits.gov/benefits/benefit-detail...