Parent wants to leave her home to her son in a life estate warranty deed. Will taxes continue to have over 65 exemption.

Asked over 1 year ago - Tomball, TX

The Warranty Deed states: The Grantor herein reserves for and during her natural life time the right to use, occupy, claim, enjoy and pay ad valorem taxes on the herein described tract of land. This life estate shall terminate upon the death of the Grantor, and upon Grantor’s death, this property will fully vest in (Son's name). She currently has a homestead exemption and taxes frozen when she turned 65. Will these exemptions continue until fully vested in the son.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Jesse David Hoffman

    Contributor Level 4


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Yes, so long as the property is owned by the parent and utilized/claimed as a homestead, that tax arrangement should continue undisturbed. When the the property transfers to the Parent's heir, it may not be a homestead anymore, and there will almost certainly be other taxes associated with the transfer as well. Depending on the Parents unique situation, there may be a more beneficial estate plan for you to minimize the tax impact of this transfer. This is definitely an issue to consult your attorney about in person so he/she can get the rest of the Parent's story and structure the best possible estate plan.

  2. Kevin Matthew Koel

    Contributor Level 16


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Most likely the exemptions would continue as long as she claims the property as her homestead. Also, if she elected to stop paying property taxes altogether, those taxes will be due on payable on her death, so be sure to have enough money to cover that.
    However, you should consult a real estate or estate planning/elder law attorney to prepare or review the deed. Also, the mother may need other estate planning/elder law assistance as well that has not been considered.

    If this response was helpful, please mark it as helpful or as a best answer. The response provided herein is for... more
  3. James P. Frederick

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I agree with Mr. Koel. Upon the death of the parent, however, the tax situation will likely change. Keep in mind that a life estate preserves the rights of the life tenant for the remainder of her life. The deed should be prepared by an attorney to make sure it is done properly. This should not be an expensive service.

    James Frederick

    ***Please be sure to mark if you find the answer "helpful" or a "best" answer. Thank you! I hope this helps. ******... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

23,782 answers this week

3,007 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

23,782 answers this week

3,007 attorneys answering