Skip to main content

Parent's rights vs. Temporary Guardianship.

Bradenton, FL |

If a child is taken from a parent's custody by cps and placed in a friend's care temporarily, what rights do the parent's still have when it comes to such things as medical attention and medications? I would like to know if it would be hard to switch care takers due to them not respecting our religious beliefs when it comes to medication. Do I have a say in his medical care? When he was in foster care, even they asked permission to give him medications, it appears that maybe the temporary guardians have more rights. Are they obligated to notify me when they take him to the Dr. or the E.R? Thank you for your time.

Attorney Answers 1

  1. Generally, the parents have to be informed and be given an opportunity to object if they disagree with medications, or medical treatment of their child(ren). However, the court will make the final determination after it hears from all the parties involved, as well as reviews any statements from doctors, testimony from temporary custodians, etc. The court's decision will be based on what's in the best interest of the child. If the custodians are not notifying you of when the child is going to the doctor or the E.R., you can ask the court to order the custodians to inform you of these events. Unless there is a restriction on your contact with the child, most likely the court would allow you to be present for doctor visits, etc.

Child custody topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics