Pardon or other options to get off sex offender registery?

Asked over 2 years ago - Orlando, FL

I had sex with a girl who was 14 when I was 19, in 2001. So I dont qualify for the romeo/juliet act. But I was wondering if applying for a pardon would be possible? I have not had a criminal conviction since 2003. And I ended my supervision successfully in 2006. This offender registration has effected my family, kids and me greatly. Its just not my civil rights that are violated with all the stuff that comes with this but my kids as well.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Zonald Evan Spinks

    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . A full pardon is your only hope. You are eligible to request a full pardon for your crimes in Florida 10 years after you have completed your sentence. At that time, you may submit an application, called the Application for Clemency, to the state for approval.

    If you are a registered sexual predator or a sexual offender meeting Florida criteria, registration is required for life, unless you have received a full pardon or had a conviction set aside in a postconviction proceeding for any offense that met the criteria for the sexual predator/offender designation.

    In accordance with guidelines set fourth in the federal Adam Walsh Child Protection and Safety Act of 2006, Florida registration law was amended, effective July 1, 2007, and removed the ability for a sexual predator to petition the court for removal of the sexual predator designation.

    Certain individuals required to register as a sexual offender who have been lawfully released from confinement, supervision, or sanction, whichever is later, for at least 25 years and have not been arrested for any felony or misdemeanor offense since release, may petition the criminal division of the circuit court in the circuit in which they reside to remove their sexual offender designation. The state attorney in the circuit in which the petition is filed must be given notice of the petition at least 3 weeks before the hearing. The court has discretion to grant or deny the petition providing it does not conflict with requirements of the federal Adam Walsh Child Protection and Safety Act of 2006 and any other applicable federal provisions.


    Zonald Spinks, Esq. Phone: (813) 413-5352 Fax: (813) 658-5893 Twitter: @ZonaldLaw Skype: Zonaldlaw... more
  2. James Regan


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . You may qualify for removal from the registry. You will be wasting your time if you attempt to accomplish this pro se. See: | The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,770 answers this week

3,032 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,770 answers this week

3,032 attorneys answering