Palmer, Reifler & Associates keeps calling me? Meaning? Can I stop them?

New York, NY |
Filed under: Shoplifting

I was arrested for shoplifting in NY and received a civil demand from Palmer, Reifler & Associates. I went on this site and saw that almost every lawyer advised to ignore the letter, so I did.

However, now they are calling me every other day from a 1-888 number where an automated message tells me that I have to call them back regarding something about my account. Is this just a typical scare tactic they use, or is it actually something urgent?

In addition, I am annoyed by the number of times they call me. It is literally every other day. Is there a way to stop them, or will they keep doing this forever?

1. The only way to stop them is to hire a lawyer to write them a letter stating that you are represented by counsel. Once that hapens they can no longer contact you and can only contact your lawyer. I do this for all my clients who get civil demands. Palmer, Reifler & Associates is particlary aggressive so they will likely keep calling.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense and personal injury/civil rights cases. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me at (212) 577-9797 or via email at Eric@RothsteinLawNY.com. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. The above answer is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

2. You can have a lawyer write a cease and desist letter. If they violate the letter, then you can sue them.

If this answer is helpful, then please mark the helpful button. If this is the best answer, then please indicate it. Thanks. For further information you should see an attorney and discuss the matter completely. If you are in the New York City area, then you can reach me during normal business hours at 718 329 9500 or www.mynewyorkcitylawyer.com.

Shoplifting topics