Pain management dr medicine swap from opiate to non opiate, Caused me to have seizures, I have previous TBI

Olathe, KS |
Filed under: Medical malpractice

Had a seizure from medicine (Tramadol). Tramadol has a warning of seizures, Pain management doctor swapped me to tramadol from Hydro-codone. Previous TBI (Traumatic Brain injury, seems like the pain doctor should have known better than giving me a medicine wit hwarnings of seizures. I didnt ask to change.

I am not sure of your question but it seems to be whether you have a viable claim for medical malpractice. In a medical malpractice case. You have to show that the Doctor didn't meet the standard of care, and that by failing to meet the standard of care there was some measurable injury. Consult with a medical malpractice attorney in your area to discus the merits of your claim (after reviewing pertinent documents), and to determine whether you are still within the statute of limitations to file your claim. Best of luck.

I am licensed in California, therefore, my answers are based on general prinicpals of law or California law, which may not be applicable in your jurisdiction. Answers posted to Avvo are for general information only. Do not conclusively rely on any information posted online when deciding what to do about your case. Every case depends is fact dependent, and responses are limited to and is based on the information you posted. No attorney-client relationship shall be created through the use reading of this response on Avvo. You should never delay seeking legal advice, disregard legal advice, or commence or discontinue any legal action because of information in this response.

2007 was in a dirtbike accident, In a coma and so on. until about 2011 I was on every pain killer known. 2011 my dr refered me to pain management division. At that time, the pain management doctor put me on a non OPIATE medicine called Tramadol, Tramadol has warnings of seizures which was never discussed with me. I was on tramadol for about a year no problem, About a month ago I had worsening pain in the back and the dr. up'd my amount of tramadol to max dosage. A few weeks later I had a seizure. To me it seems that a patient with previous Traumatic Brain injury should never have been given a drug such as tramadol that would help to invoke seizures, with my seizure levels being lower that the average due to TBI. My question is, Can I sue this doctor for neglegence or something along those lines. It has only been a week but I can hardly remember peoples names and such....

Whether you are successful in a malpractice claim depends on whether the physician depends on whether the physician practiced in a manner that was outside the standards of the practice. Did your physician have any reason to know you would have this reaction?

I am licensed in New Mexico and Pennsylvania, and therefore any discussion of issues related to other states must considered within that context. In addition, my comments are not intended to create a legal representation but merely to respond to the limited facts presented by the question. Any opinion herein is not meant as a precise statement of legal rights or as a recommendation of any particular course of action. A more complete legal review can be obtained through local counsel.

Yes sir, The doctor had all of my records and all of the records of the accident. He knew of everything. 2007 was in a dirtbike accident, In a coma and so on. until about 2011 I was on every pain killer known. 2011 my dr refered me to pain management division. At that time, the pain management doctor put me on a non OPIATE medicine called Tramadol, Tramadol has warnings of seizures which was never discussed with me. I was on tramadol for about a year no problem, About a month ago I had worsening pain in the back and the dr. up'd my amount of tramadol to max dosage. A few weeks later I had a seizure. To me it seems that a patient with previous Traumatic Brain injury should never have been given a drug such as tramadol that would help to invoke seizures, with my seizure levels being lower that the average due to TBI. My question is, Can I sue this doctor for neglegence or something along those lines. It has only been a week but I can hardly remember peoples names and such....

Norman Antonio Stiteler

Norman Antonio Stiteler

Malpractice / Negligence requires some damage which can be proven and a standard that has been breached. If you can establish that the seizures are a permanent change, then you might be able to prove damage. As noted by Attorney Patrick, a malpractice attorney should have the resources to available to establish this damage and the breach from the standard of care.

I don't really see a case here. But consult a lawyer anyway.

Sorry to hear about this, but likely a tough road to hoe, however, retain a local med mal lawyer who can order your records and send to an expert to review to ascertain whether there was a breach of the standard of care.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755 www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com