Skip to main content

Paid volunteer for international student (F-1 visa)

Seattle, WA |

I have been in the United States for 4 years already and haven't been home once. I have heard the rumors that If I stay here for 5 years, I am eligible to apply for citizenship. Is that true? I have been volunteering at a home retirement community for almost a year now and logged in for over 400 hours. The staffs really like my work ethic and they always ask me if they can hire me. Well, I kinda want a job too to help my parents a little on college I am going to a freshmen at university next year. Please let me know if there is anyway that they can hire me: paid volunteer, petition forms, citizenship etc ? Thank you!

Attorney Answers 1

  1. The rumors are incorrect. You can become a US citizen 5 years after you have received your green card. As an F-1 student you can only work with permission from Immigration or from your university for OPT.

Employment topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics