Paid volunteer for international student (F-1 visa)

Asked almost 4 years ago - Seattle, WA

I have been in the United States for 4 years already and haven't been home once. I have heard the rumors that If I stay here for 5 years, I am eligible to apply for citizenship. Is that true? I have been volunteering at a home retirement community for almost a year now and logged in for over 400 hours. The staffs really like my work ethic and they always ask me if they can hire me. Well, I kinda want a job too to help my parents a little on college expenses..as I am going to a freshmen at university next year. Please let me know if there is anyway that they can hire me: paid volunteer, petition forms, citizenship etc ? Thank you!

1. Answered . The rumors are incorrect. You can become a US citizen 5 years after you have received your green card. As an F-1 student you can only work with permission from Immigration or from your university for OPT.