Owning a Gun in the state of Nevada with adjudicated youthful offender W/ sealed record in Upstate, NY.

Asked 8 months ago - Las Vegas, NV

I was arrested in upstate NY when I was 16 for two counts of burglary in the 3rd degree. I was adjudicated youthful offender status and served one year in a county jail for underage kids. The record was sealed and I have had many background checks lvl 1 & lvl 2 checks, with nothing coming back on them. I am now 29 and have only been issued a possession of marijuana less than 20grams in the state of Florida in 2009 on vacation. I plead no contest and paid a $100 fine. I vote every year.
I just finished college and have moved to las vegas, nv last month for a very lucrative position. not even a month here and I just had somebody try to break into my house 4 hours ago with me in it. I scared them away, but not before i snapped pictures of their license plates. I called the police and filled out a report. I want to know if I can legally own a firearm in the state of nv? I am not a criminal and fell into the wrong crowd when i was younger. I have learned from my mistakes and have grown up

1. George G. Trachtman

1

Answered . Handgun owners in Clark County must register concealable firearms at a law enforcement agency within an incorporated city of Clark County. The ordinance provides a period of at least 60 days of residency in the county before registration of such a firearm is required, and a period of at least 72 hours for the registration of a pistol by a resident of the county upon transfer of title to the pistol to the resident by purchase, gift or any other transfer.

2. Jay A Shafer

1

Answered . Nev. Rev. Stat. Ann. ยง 202.360 specifies certain categories of persons who are prohibited from gun ownership. Primarily it prohibits ownership to those convicted of a felony or an "unlawful user of, or addicted to, any controlled substance." It is unclear if your prior activities were felony convictions, but if not, should not preclude ownership.

One way to determine if you are legally permitted to purchase is to attempt to purchase through a dealer, who utilizing the POS background check system will determine if you are permitted. A "delayed" or "denied" response does not necessarily mean you cannot purchase or posess a firearm, but a permitted will.

One or more answers have been taken down.