Owner occupied home trying to evict a roommate. Can I relocate his belongings?

Asked over 1 year ago - Portsmouth, VA

I have a roommate living with me, we have no formal lease. I have sent via certified mail the pay or quit and eviction notice. I am trying to follow the letter of the law, however there does not seem to be much in regards to his property. He has disappeared, left no forwarding address, is not responding to texts, calls, or facebook. I want to clean out his mess of a room and put his belongings into the garage so I can clean the carpets, paint, ect. Am I legally allowed to touch his things or do I have to wait for the sheriff to come oversee the move?

1. Victoria Lee Allen

Answered . (I don't concentrate in landlord/tenant law, but most of this is a "reasonableness" type of thing and you likely don't fall under the landlord tenant act.) You don't indicate how long the roommate has been gone, if you know he is permanently gone, or if he received the notice. Some of the answers to these may make a difference. The "lease" sounds like a verbal periodic lease. I will assume a month to month type of lease. Send notice for him to remove his property by a certain date to his last known address and copy it to Facebook as well as texting and voicemail under the assumption that he has vacated the residence and abandoned his property. The Pay or Quit is more to get the person out, not the property - which can be moved.

If he has not paid and has been gone for an additional full month beyond the pay or quit notice, you will likely not have issue with removing his property to another part of the house. However, you should take pictures as you go and note anything that is damaged before you move it. That will be for your own protection if he ever comes back to get it and tries to claim damages. Usually, a walk through video of the entire room is the best first evidence, with individual pictures of anything already damaged. Also take note of any damages he may have done to the room at the same time.