Skip to main content

OWI third offense(felony) charge in Kent County, is there any possibility of getting this charge reduced to a misdemeanor?

Grand Rapids, MI |

I was charged with OWI third, had two prior convictions, one as a minor. I'm hoping not to lose my ability to possess a firearm, any chance of getting the charges reduced in this county?

Attorney Answers 7

  1. What you are trying to do is usually very difficult, but not impossible. There are MANY very good OWI Grand Rapids-based lawyers here on AVVO -- I would kindly recommend you consult with one in private to assess your chances at getting the deal you desire. Please don't delay, as some police departments only maintain video records for 30 days. I wish you all the best of luck. Warmest regards, Matt Catchick.

  2. It is certainly possible, but there is not an attorney alive who can give you any absolute assurances (it is a pretty tall order in Kent County, and most other Counties in Michigan).

    Your best action at this point is to consult with and retain a competent, local criminal defense attorney who frequently practices in Kent County. If you need a referral, you should start by trying to find an attorney through the home page of

    Best of Luck.

    An Attorney-Client relationship has not been established. Becket J. Jones is not your attorney. In order to protect your interests, you should engage with and retain a competent criminal defense attorney who practices often in the court you are scheduled to be in front of if you have been (or believe you will be) charged with a crime in the State of Michigan.

  3. It is possible. You may qualify for sobriety court which is an intense form of probation and upon successful completion, your conviction would be reduced to an OWI second offense which is a misdemeanor. This is very serious and can have very long lasting implications on your future. Consult with an experienced OWI attorney in the area as soon as possible.

  4. The Prosecutor may drop it down to a misdemeanor charge if you hire a good defense lawyer to fight for you. This is a serious charge. Do not face this charge without having a good lawyer on your side. There are plenty of good criminal defense lawyers on Avvo. Look around and make some phone calls asap! Good luck!

  5. DUIs, particularly felonies, are complicated situations. You should hire an attorney who regularly handles DUI cases in Kent County and discuss your case with him or her. Only your DUI attorney can give you good legal advice after knowing all of the facts.

  6. This will be very difficult in Kent County. It is possible but you should have strong defense. Kent county has a policy of not reducing third offenses. They may make a sentence deal, but not a reduction to a misdemeanor. You might have a chance if you a very low BAC or a long period of time between offenses. You need a good defense attorney. Good Luck!

  7. Like the others have said, this is a situation where it is absolutely necessary to hire an attorney and to hire one of your own choosing that you are comfortable with and respect. There may be options available as well as defenses, but no attorney can fully answer your question without knowing all the facts.

Criminal defense topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics