Overstayed visa. If Marry a US citizen outside of the USA can you still get the US citizenship?

Asked over 1 year ago - New York, NY

Overstayed my F1 visa by more than a year, which would give me a 10-year ban. I know your "sins are washed away" if you marry a US citizen (bona-fide marriage, of course) on American soil but is it a different "game" if you marry outside of the USA? I imagine it would take a lot more time. Would there be a problem getting citizenship with that history of overstayed visa or that wouldn't be an issue as long as the marriage is truthful/bona-fide?

1. Alexander Joseph Segal

3

3

Answered . I think you "know" way too much and way too wrong. You are confused. YOu need to consult an immigration attorney. We have plenty to choose from here in NYC.

2. Dean P Murray

2

Answered . Consult an immigration lawyer.

---------------------------
    Dean P. Murray
    The Murray Law Firm
    560 Sylvan Avenue
    Englewood Cliffs, NJ 07632
    (Office located within minutes of the George Washington Bridge)

3. Ilona Dzhamgarova

1

Answered . You better speak with Immigration lawyer regarding waiver .

4. Fernanda Nunes Hottle

Pro

1

Answered . You don't acquire US citizenship simply by marrying a USC. You would become a legal permanent resident first, and only after a few years would you be able to apply for citizenship.

Once you overstay your visa and leave the US, you automatically receive a 10-year bar. The only way to enter the US legally again would be to either remain outside for 10 years or apply for a waiver. These types of cases are complicated, and I recommend you consult with an immigration attorney first and foremost. A lot needs to be considered. Good luck.