Overstayed on an F1 visa and wondering whether there will be an overhaul of immigration law to grant amnesty to people like me.

Asked over 1 year ago - Eugene, OR

Is it wise to wait and see what will come out of the new immigration bill that is going to be proposed or should I live for my home country before I overstay for long. I am wondering whether the Obama administration will introduce policies that will benefit people like me?

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Elliot M.S. Yi

    Contributor Level 15


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I agree with my colleagues. It is difficult to predict the future but immigration reform seems imminent. As to your particular situation, you may have other options available to you. It may be worth your time to seek a consultation with an immigration attorney. Good luck.

    The Law Office of Elliot M.S. Yi, 2075 SW First Avenue, Ste 2J, Portland, Oregon, 97201 www.emsylaw.com; elliot@... more
  2. Veronica Tunitsky

    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . At this point it would be a largely speculative discussion, but, there's been talk that the president will discuss immigration reform at his inauguration.

    The information offered is general in nature and not meant to be relied upon as legal advice. Please consult an... more
  3. Carmine John Giardino

    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Representing yourself without any previous legal background or knowledge can prove to be a challenge. It may not be possible to learn every law or detail. Often times the more complex a case is, the more legal knowledge a person needs in order to be successful. A lack of time, resources, and knowledge can be negative points of self-representation. It's better to hire a lawyer to handle this. There are a lot of excellent lawyers in your city.

    If this answer was helpful to you or if it was the best answer, please click the buttons that state helpful and... more
  4. Samuel Patrick Ouya Maina

    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . One can only guess. if reform is introduced it will probably be for long time overstays.

    Samuel Ouya Maina, Esq. 415.391.6612 s.ouya@mainalaw.com Law Offices of S. Ouya Maina, PC 332 Pine Street,... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,450 answers this week

3,042 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,450 answers this week

3,042 attorneys answering