Overstayed on an F1 visa and wondering whether there will be an overhaul of immigration law to grant amnesty to people like me.

Eugene, OR |

Is it wise to wait and see what will come out of the new immigration bill that is going to be proposed or should I live for my home country before I overstay for long. I am wondering whether the Obama administration will introduce policies that will benefit people like me?

1. One can only guess. if reform is introduced it will probably be for long time overstays.

Samuel Ouya Maina, Esq. 415.391.6612 s.ouya@mainalaw.com Law Offices of S. Ouya Maina, PC 332 Pine Street, Suite 707 San Francisco, CA 94104

2. At this point it would be a largely speculative discussion, but, there's been talk that the president will discuss immigration reform at his inauguration.

The information offered is general in nature and not meant to be relied upon as legal advice. Please consult an attorney prior to making legal decisions. Visit us at www.tunitskylaw.com. Contact us at 713.335.5505 or email at veronica@tunitskylaw.com. Veronica Tunitsky offers in-person, as well as telephone and email consultations.

3. I agree with my colleagues. It is difficult to predict the future but immigration reform seems imminent. As to your particular situation, you may have other options available to you. It may be worth your time to seek a consultation with an immigration attorney. Good luck.

The Law Office of Elliot M.S. Yi, 2075 SW First Avenue, Ste 2J, Portland, Oregon, 97201 www.emsylaw.com; elliot@emsylaw.com; 503-951-8209. This answer is intended for general informational purposes only and does not create an attorney-client relationship. The statement above does not constitute legal advice, as all the facts are not known.

4. Representing yourself without any previous legal background or knowledge can prove to be a challenge. It may not be possible to learn every law or detail. Often times the more complex a case is, the more legal knowledge a person needs in order to be successful. A lack of time, resources, and knowledge can be negative points of self-representation. It's better to hire a lawyer to handle this. There are a lot of excellent lawyers in your city.

If this answer was helpful to you or if it was the best answer, please click the buttons that state helpful and best answer. Please understand that all of my answers are for informational purposes only, are not legal advise, and do not create an attorney-client relationship between you and me. I am not your attorney and you are not my client unless we enter into a signed contract. My only legal advise to you is that you should immediately consult with and hire a lawyer and that you should not represent yourself. If you want to more information about personal injury, visit http://www.sainjurylawyer.com or if you want more information about criminal defense, visit http://www.giardinolawfirm.com. Good luck!