Overstayed on an F1 visa and wondering whether there will be an overhaul of immigration law to grant amnesty to people like me.

Asked over 1 year ago - Eugene, OR

Is it wise to wait and see what will come out of the new immigration bill that is going to be proposed or should I live for my home country before I overstay for long. I am wondering whether the Obama administration will introduce policies that will benefit people like me?

1. Elliot M.S. Yi

2

Answered . I agree with my colleagues. It is difficult to predict the future but immigration reform seems imminent. As to your particular situation, you may have other options available to you. It may be worth your time to seek a consultation with an immigration attorney. Good luck.

2. Veronica Tunitsky

2

Answered . At this point it would be a largely speculative discussion, but, there's been talk that the president will discuss immigration reform at his inauguration.

3. Carmine John Giardino

2

Answered . Representing yourself without any previous legal background or knowledge can prove to be a challenge. It may not be possible to learn every law or detail. Often times the more complex a case is, the more legal knowledge a person needs in order to be successful. A lack of time, resources, and knowledge can be negative points of self-representation. It's better to hire a lawyer to handle this. There are a lot of excellent lawyers in your city.

4. Samuel Patrick Ouya Maina

1

Answered . One can only guess. if reform is introduced it will probably be for long time overstays.