Overstayed J1 visa, marriage

Asked about 6 years ago - Harrisburg, PA

I overstayed my J1 visa (it expired sept. '06). I was an exchange student in a work and travel program. My employer was pleased with my work and when I told them I will stay here, they kept me to work for them, and I can tell you is a fast food restaurant and that I got to be a certified manager in as little as 4 months and currently I am an assistant manager. Anyway, I was gonna ask how hard would it be to obtain a green card after marriage in the given situation. (how long does it ussually takes, if you could give me a range of time). The 2-year rule does not apply. Thank you.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Philip Alan Eichorn

    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . Based on the facts you have presented, you are subject to deportation at this point due to the overstay. Further, if you leave the U.S. you are subject to a ten-year bar from reentering as you have accrued over one-year of unlawful presence. The primary avenue for obtaining permanent resident status for you is through marriage to a U.S. citizen. However, you cannot marry this person solely for an immigration purpose.

    Consult with an immigration attorney as soon as possible.

  2. Joshua Daley Paulin


    Contributor Level 9


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . Subject to the caveats previously mentioned, processing time varies from place to place, but in Boston, an approvable marriage case can be adjudicated in 4-8 months.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

23,736 answers this week

2,598 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

23,736 answers this week

2,598 attorneys answering