Oversea tax question for a tax attorney

Canton, NY |

Being a citizen and possibility of leaving in an another country for the rest of your life.
Asked 20 minutes ago - Canton, NY
US Citizenship
I was wondering after I become a US citizen and decide to leave USA and live in another country, how do they contact me about my US citizen duties? like being at the jury, voting or taxes?

Also, what is my responsibility of paying US taxes like if I work in another country do I still have to pay my salary tax? or do I have to pay taxes for the houses and cars that I use (rental or bought or came from

You will be responsible towards the U.S. Government from an income tax perspective. The country you are located most likely has a treaty against double taxation hence, if you pay income taxes overseas, you should be able to apply for a tax credit in the U.S..
    As per the second part of your question, you should specify which type of taxes you are talking about. Basically, you should not be accountable for indirect tax towards the U.S. revenue. These you describe seem to be consumption taxes charged and paid to the National Revenue where the consumption takes place.

Attorney Advertising. The information given above is intended to provide general information only and not legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship.

2. My comment assumes that you are already a US citizen and only addresses US federal income tax issues. Your questions about voting or serving on a jury relate to state law and not within the scope of my comment. US citizens are taxed on their worldwide income, so as long as you are a US citizen you pay taxes on income you earn anywhere in the world - even if you move to a foreign country and never come back. US expatriates (i.e., US citizens that live outside of the US) are still required to comply with their US federal income tax obligations - like filing tax returns and complying with certain financial disclosure requirements (like the Foreign Bank Accounts Reporting act, of FBAR).

By "pay taxes for the houses and cars that I use," I assume that you refer to value added tax (VAT). A VAT is roughly similar to a sales tax, but the US is one of a handful of countries that does not currently have a VAT system, so you would not be charged US VAT on any personal assets that you purchase abroad. Please consult a tax advisor on whom you can rely.

The Ornelas Firm PLLC
    915-600-7286
    oscar@ojotax.com

Anything contained in this response is for informational purposes only and neither the author nor The Ornelas Firm PLLC ("Firm") makes any representations as to the accuracy or completeness of anything contained in this response. Nothing herein shall be interpreted as legal advice from the author or the Firm, or as creating an attorney-client relationship between the solicitor and the author or the Firm. Neither the author nor the Firm will be liable for any losses, injuries, or damages from the display or use of this information. You should consult an attorney whenever confronted with a serious legal issue. The Ornelas Firm PLLC (www.ojotax.com) may be contacted at 888-764-5822 or oscar@ojotax.com.

3. As a US citizen you have to report your worldwide income. In other words, you have a reporting obligation with the IRS. You may benefit of some tax breaks if you pay taxes in any foreign countries but you need to report all your income. They may contact you if, for example, the US local embassy has record of your presence/residence within its jurisdiction. If you work overseas for a foreign company you are most probably paying local taxes (also on local cars and houses). I would suggest to hire an international attorney. Best.

This reply is offered for educational purpose only. You should seek the advice of an attorney. The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than an educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the undisclosed individual asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of New York. Responses are based solely on New York Law unless stated otherwise. Pursuant to Internal Revenue Service guidance, be advised that any federal tax advice contained in this written or electronic communication is not intended or written to be used and it cannot be used by any person or entity for the purpose of (i) avoiding any tax penalties that may be imposed by the Internal Revenue Service or any other U.S. Federal taxing authority or agency or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any transaction or matter addressed herein.

International law topics