Overpayment of unemployment insurance

Asked about 2 years ago - Snellville, GA

I received the letter from GA dept of Labor asked me to pay back the amount which i wasn't entitle. They said that i didn't report earning of those weeks. Here is the background this overpayment. During time between 2005-2009 i was working 2 job one part time and one full time. And in 2009 i got laid off FT job b/c lack of work. and i still work PT job since then. I went to apply unemployment benefit and got approved. now years later they come back ask overpayment ($9,000). One thing that i don't understand when i applied for benefit they would deny benefit right away because when they use my SSN to pull out record they could see that. Moreover just before i collect benefit I received a letter that lists current employers ( contribute for unemployment insurance). can i ask for waive

1. Gary A Kester

Answered . I am not in your State. If you were overpaid on benefits then the monies need to be returned. The unemployment website in your State likely gives information in this regard. Talk to an attorney though because if they are claiming you committed fraud you do not want to do or say anything that could be used against you or to support charges. Good luck