Over a year ago I bought a house from a seller. I did work on the house. Seller signed and gave me thedeed Can seller back out?

Asked 3 months ago - Freehold, NJ

Seller signed sales contract, indicating purchase was subject to the mortgage. Seller also signed a deed. I have not recorded the deed. I also have been working on a workout with the bank.
Can the seller after a year claim they want to cancel deal.

1. William J Popovich

4

Answered . Record the deed today, this minute, as soon as the office opens. Then pursue your other issues.

2. Robert Popescu

Pro

3

Answered . on the facts you presented, assuming the deed is properly completed and executed, you have good title as against the seller. weather the deed was ever recorded is also an issue which would affect also third parties.There is obviously much more to this story but on its face you appear to be on solid grounds.

3. Michael T Warshaw

2

Answered . Record your deed, speak to a lawyer and deal with the other issues with his/her help.

4. Savyon Grant

2

Answered . Be very careful. Your facts come close to potential mortgage fraud. Many sellers have been signing deeds think that they are getting a loan modification and help with their unpaid mortgage. There will most likely be an investigation.

5. Venessa Masterson

Pro

3

Answered . I agree with my colleague. You indicated that you bought the house, meaning you gave consideration for it. Additionally seller also signed a deed indicating acceptance of consideration received. it is not clear why you have held on to the deed without recording it as the public will not consider you a legal owner until the deed is recorded. That said, I do not know the details of your agreement with seller, but since seller received consideration, I would not advise you to give title back but would advise that you record the deed immediately to confirm your ownership.

6. Shawn B Alexander

Pro

2

Answered . I agree with the previous answers. The purchase agreement and deed should be reviewed by a local lawyer for enforcability. However if you have properly executed and recorded deed you are most likely covered . But use the find a lawyer tab above t get a real opinion based upon your facts.
    Good Luck