Over 2 months of constant misdiagnosis resulting in life threatening surgery

Asked over 1 year ago - Phoenix, AZ

Late last march i had to have a quarter sised kidney surgically removed from my left kidney through my back. For months i was in constant pain and sick. I had prescription after prescription of pain meds. For months my doctor would not listen to me when i tried to tell them something was wrong. They sent me to a local ultrasound facility multiple times. Nothing ever came back. They would give me pain meds and bill my insurance and send me on my way. Finally i crawled into their office in tears, my husband had to call them from work and yell at them to see me and treat me. They found an 8mm stone and forced me to try to pass it without assistance over the weekend. Sunday i ended up in the er with a quarter sised kidney stone. I have a pacemaker, i am 23. i have never had stones before.

I ended up having to be put under and have surgery that was life threatening, and i could have lost my kidney. All because for months they wouldnt listen to me when i would tell them something was wrong. And almost a year later i still get pain around the surgical scar, but not in my kidney. Its still puffy. And they are repeat billing me when i paid my care off last year because somehow they managed to max my medical benefits. I dont have insurance anymore! I cant afford to have my back checked if they left something in there. I suffered for months on pain meds without proper diagnosis and then had to go through horrible withdrawls after the surgery in front of all of my coworkers and i was a high finance investor!!
i went over my medical bills and my first visit to them was in mid october of 2011. they didnt take proper action with my care until march 2012. so thats 6 months of constant pain, pain meds, and lack of proper diagnosis that could have caused me to lose my left kidney.

1. John M Curtin

5

Answered . Ms. Herd has provided the only response of any substance. I concur. In the real world, short term pain and suffering is probably not sufficient to justify the risk and expense of a medical malpractice suit. While I can understand why you are upset about the care you received, I doubt that a lawyer will take your case in light of the lack of permanent injury.

2. Elizabeth Taylor Herd

Pro

5

Answered . Remember that you can only recover for those damages that you can attribute to the acts of the wrongdoers through expert testimony. In addition if you have health insurance you must pay back the carrier for any treatment they paid for. It sounds like what you went through was horrible, but it also sounds like you have other conditions that the defense will be able to tell a jury about. In the end, you might end up spending more than the compensation a jury would award. Medical negligence cases are very expensive and difficult. I hope this explanation gives you some insight into the process as compared I with simply telling you to call a lawyer.

Pro

4

Answered . The cost would likely far exceed the recovery, but have a local med mal lawyer order your medical records to review.

4. George Costas Andriotis

2

Answered . Consult a medical malpractice attorney to review all of your medical records and advise you as to whether the believe the standard of care required was breached. Best of luck.

Call for a free consultation at 727-937-1400 or visit us on the Web at www.serviceandjustice.com.
  5. Josh P Tolin

2

Answered . I empathize with you. Having had kidney stones myself, it is very painful. The general rule of thumb, according to my urologist is anything over 5mm is difficult to pass and usually requires surgery. The other attorneys have all given you good advice with respect to damages. Unless you have a permanent injury with long-term pain and suffering, most attorneys will be unable to justify the huge costs of this type of litigation.

6. David B Pittman

Pro

1

Answered . Consult with an experienced medical malpractice lawyer.