Out of status f1 married to divorced naturalized usc

Chicago, IL |

Been out of status after OPT ended a year and a half ago. Job offer from OPT fell through so I meant to return to school for second degree but had surgery and ended up out of status while recovering and looking after newborn.
Now married to naturalized USC who is divorced from USC ex.
What are my options? Reinstate F1 and return to school as originally planned or AOS? Worried that his divorce from USC will affect my application negatively and possibly his situation too.

If there was no fraud in the marriage from which your spouse is now divorced, you have nothing to be concerned about. Just file for AOS and hire an attorney to do that right.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS www.myattorneyusa.com; email: info@myattorneyusa.com; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.

I agree with Mr. Segal's answer. Additionally, your husband has all the rights and status as any other citizen who was born here. his prior marriage and divorce will have no impact on your situation, or his.

It's important that you and your spouse consult with an attorney to make sure the relationship history doesn't raise red flags. Yes, it will be scrutinized, especially if your spouse obtained a green card through the prior marriage, but that would not mean that AOS isn't possible.

Getting any kind of other status, such as F1 reinstatement will face a risk of denial and finding of fraud. Take a look at this: http://www.swagatusa.com/archives/1081

Dhenu Savla, Esq.
SwagatUSA, LLC
www.swagatusa.com/attorney

This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship and is not meant to be relied upon as legal advice.

Your husband has all the rights of U.S. Citizen, including the right to petition for a green card for his wife. The only difficulty would be if the marriage through which he got his green card initially was fraudulent. Since he's apparently already removed conditions on his green card AND naturalized, it sounds like USCIS has no suspicions of fraud about the earlier marriage.

Make an appointment with an attorney to be more certain.

Law Office of Mary K. Neal | www.immigratechicago.com | info@rogersparklaw.com| 773-681-1335 This answer is intended as public information about a legal topic. Answers posted here do not create an attorney-client relationship. For specific legal advice, please make an appointment to speak with an attorney in private.