Out of state accident

Asked about 3 years ago - Worcester, MA

I was involved in a car accident in NC and I live in MA. If I wanted to get a lawyer which state do I need to get one in?

1. Christopher Francis Earley

Pro

Answered . It depends. You could hire a MA lawyer, but that lawyer could not file suit (assuming it is even necessary) unless he or she is licensed in NC.

Chris Earley

2. Christopher W. Vaughn-Martel

Answered . I'm sorry to hear you were in an accident.

My advice would be to speak with an attorney in your own state first. If an action can be commenced here, that may be in your best interests. If the action cannot be maintained here, your attorney can assist you in finding local representation in North Carolina.

Good luck!

Pro

1

Answered . A lawyer in any state can negotiate with the insurance company. If it has to go to court because the liability isn't clear, you would want to get a lawyer in the state the accident happened.

4. Brian Curtis Pascale

Pro

Answered . Depends on who your defendants are. You most likely would want w-one in the state where the accident occurred. If the accident involved a large corporation's vehicle you may want, and be able to, bring the action in the state where you live.

5. Randy William Ferguson

Answered . Either state will be fine. You may be able to settle without filing suit. If you file suit you can get an attorney from NC or MA. If a small accident that requires a suit, get one from NC. An attorney can do pro hac paperwork to handle a suit in another state if necessary. They may have to associate local counsel. We handle cases in a lot of different states with no problem.