Skip to main content

Out of F-1 status - can I still travel within the US, do I risk getting deported?

Los Angeles, CA |

I'm out of F-1 status for a few months, applied for the reinstatement. My I-20 expires in June. My F-1 visa expired two and a half years ago. Is it dangerous for me to travel within the US? (I'm in LA, I want to fly to NY and back). Can I be put in the removal proceedings? Thank you for your advice.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


No it does not look dangerous. Why would you ask that?

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.



Thank you. I've done some research and found this: - TSA checking passengers' immigration status for domestic flights. In that case I'm not sure if it's safe for me to travel considering my situation.


If you are truly out of status, you could be put in removal proceedings if ICE or CBP becomes aware of you.

Samuel Ouya Maina, Esq. 415.391.6612 Law Offices of S. Ouya Maina, PC 332 Pine Street, Suite 707 San Francisco, CA 94104



What do you mean by "truly out of status"? I fell out of status 7 months ago. I applied for the reinstatement and I'm enrolled in school at the moment. Will they check all that in the airport? Thank you for your help.


If you are out of status, then yes, you can be put in removal proceedings.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer