Our S-Corporation was closed. We have an IRS fine from not filing the tax return on time. Are we personally liable?

We closed the S-Corp at the end of April 2013. We had no idea that we were supposed to file taxes by the 15th day of the 3rd month after closing the S-Corp. We figured that since the 1120S form is related directly to our personal return, that we should file the S-Corp return in the spring of 2014 along with our personal taxes. Well, that's what we did and it prompted the IRS to send us a "Fail to File Timely" fine. So now we have to deal with this imposed fine since we were the only two shareholders of the S-Corp. I have heard from an accountant that they can't collect on a business that is closed. We have found similar forums about fines for closed S-Corps with unpaid payroll tax liability, but no definitive answer for our situation. Are my wife and I personally liable for this IRS fine?

Des Plaines, IL -

Alan James Brinkmeier

Alan James Brinkmeier

Lawsuit / Dispute Attorney - Chicago, IL

You will need to hire a lawyer to sort this out and obtain Legal Advice. Avvo does not permit users to solicit on these pages, even when we know the answers.

Avvo has a fine Find a Lawyer tool so use it to hire a lawyer for Legal Advice. You need it with the IRS after you

Robb Adam Longman

Robb Adam Longman

Tax Lawyer - Bethesda, MD

You should meet with an attorney who can advise you on these issues.

Related Advice