Our parents (6yrs ago) left my sister nad myself the house, we are both on title.

Asked almost 5 years ago - Carson, CA

she has lived in it all 6 yrs, i only 1 of the six. i have moved out and want to buy my own home and i say we sell, she says no.am i able to collect rent for my half because only SHE lives there and i dont. she doesnt want sell and has taken the max out on the equity? i need the money to buy my home. what can i do legaly?

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Steven Alan Fink

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . You can file a partition action, asking that the house be sold and that you receive your equity, including the fair rental value of her living there. She should also be responsible for the equity she received.

    The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

25,953 answers this week

2,768 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

25,953 answers this week

2,768 attorneys answering