Skip to main content

Our mother left a will that states all divided in thirds. Our younger sister is her PR. She has done little to nothing to sell

Lynchburg, VA |

properties with us. when it goes through probate will we lose what our mother left to us. We do not know how the process works? Will we be forced to sue her ? What can or will happen if we do nothing? Because we are in another state will we need to be present? We believe she is doing nothing to sell in hopes it will all be hers. Will the court help us? Does the will have to be honored? My older sister says we will get what mother left us. We have to pay her for doing nothing, an attorney of hers , estate lawyer who refuses to answer any questions etc. Then to hire another attorney to protect us from loss...... We won`t even get an inheritance it seems? worried to death..... Help please ! Thank you

Attorney Answers 3

  1. This question has already been posted. Please obtain counsel to get more information on the probate process.

    Please note that I am answering this question as a service through Avvo but not as your attorney and no attorney-client relationship is established by this posting. An attorney-client relationship can only be established through signing a Fee Agreement and paying the necessary advanced fees.

  2. You have asked many questions and this forum is better suited for general information. You should contact a probate attorney who practices in the state and county where the court action is filed. Such a probate attorney can answer each of your questions in a consultation and could represent you and other beneficiaries. The estate's attorney answers to the PR and you may or may not agree with that attorney's actions. You should have counsel representing your interests. Good luck.

    If this answer is helpful or you feel it is the best answer, please click that option. This response is for general informational purposes only and not for the purpose of providing legal advice. The writer is only licensed to practice law in TN. You should contact your attorney to obtain advice with respect to any particular issue or problem. Use of and access to this Web site or any of the answers by the named attorney do not create an attorney-client relationship between said attorney and the user or browser.

  3. The previous answers are correct, it seems you have several issues and it would be best to consult with a local attorney who could assist. But, I do have a few bits of advice. First, it seems like you are stating your Mom passed away in Virginia. If that is the case, then depending on the instructions in the Will, there may be very little for your younger sister to do with the properties. In Virginia, when someone passes away with real estate, unless the Will instructs the executor to sell the property, generally, once the will is recorded, it acts as a deed and transfers ownership of the property from the deceased person to the beneficiaries. So, if that is the case, you and your siblings are now co-owners of the properties and will have to decide what to do with them.

    Her attorneys are her attorneys, they have no responsibility to respond to communications from you.

    The Will has to be honored.

    Again, lots of questions without enough information to give specific answers. So, definitely contact an Attorney in the state where you Mom passed away, get him or her the Will to review and move forward based on his or her advise. Good luck!

Wills and estates topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics