Skip to main content

Our mailman keeps misdelivering my neighbor's mail to me so I have to walk to his house and put it in his mailbox.

Saint Petersburg, FL |

Because of that, I suffer a lot of punitive damages. Can I sue USPS and the mailman for the punitive damages?

Attorney Answers 4

  1. This does not equal punitive damages. You need to contact the post office and your neighbor and have them correct the problem.

    ***Please be sure to mark if you find the answer "helpful" or a "best" answer. Thank you! I hope this helps. ******

  2. Ms. Morecroft has given you good advice. I can only add that you could just clothespin the mail to your box, and let the postman handle it. No need to take a walk.

    I am an Attorney-at-Law, licensed to practice law only in the state of California. Unless we have both signed a formal retainer agreement, you are not my client, and my discussion of issues does not constitute legal advice. Opinions expressed herein are those of the author, and do not necessarily represent the opinions of those who hold other opinions.

  3. You do not have to walk anywhere. You can mark the envelopes "delivered to wrong address" and put the mail in the outgoing mail box. Or, take the mail to the neighbor and let him/her know that this has been going on and he/she should speak to the postmaster at the local post office.

    I hope you found this response to be helpful. If so, your clicking "helpful" and/or "best answer" helps my Avvo rating and would be appreciated. This answer shall not be considered rendering legal advise but instead a general response to a general question. Avvo is a wonderful resource but nothing can substitute for an in-depth consultation face-to-face with a lawyer. The response shall not be deemed to create an attorney-client relationship, nor shall it create an obligation on the part of the attorney to respond to further inquiry from the questioner.

  4. Why not contact your local postmaster with this complaint?

Real estate topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics