Skip to main content

Our house is paid for but it is only in my husband's name. How do I go about getting my name on the deed?

Mishawaka, IN |

We live in Indiana and have been married for 19 years.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


Your husband can sign a Quit Claim Deed giving partial interest to you and then you file it with the county recorder's office.

Advice on this forum is for informational purposes only and should never be mistaken as a substitute for legal advice. If you are in need of legal advice, you should consult local legal counsel.


A lawyer needs to prepare a deed. Assuming he desires that you be a co-owner, then you need to have a lawyer prepare a deed from himself to you and himself, as husband and wife.

Non-lawyers may not prepare deeds. The only other way to get it done right is to hire it done through a title company, and a title company will have an in house lawyer do it.

Let me know if I can help. Maybe this is a good time to update wills, POA, etc.

No legal representation exists by virtue of this answer. Consult your attorney. Licensed to practice law in Indiana and Illinois. Circular 230 Disclosure: any U.S. tax advice contained in this communication is not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding penalties under the Internal Revenue Code, or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any matters addressed herein.

Family law topics

Recommended articles about Family law

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer