Our dog was attacked by two unleashed pitbulls while staying at a hotel in California. What liabilty does the hotel chain have?

Asked about 1 year ago - Sparks, NV

Pitbulls had been living at the hotel with their owners for three months (according to the hotel management).

1. Keith G Langer

Pro

2

Answered . Your primary defendant are the dogs' owners.

IF the hotel knew/should have known that the dogs were a danger and/or that the owners were so negligent as to regularly let the dogs run free, it may also be liable.

Contact the NV and county bar associations for referrals to premises liability / animal law attorneys.

The foregoing is for general information purposes and does not establish an attorney-client relationship.
  2. Michael Elliott Rubinstein

Pro

1

Answered . This is a very serious issue. Under California law, the owner of a dog is strictly liable for any injuries caused by his dog's bite. The owner of the pitbulls is automatically liable to you for your dog's injuries. You also could very well have a premises liability case against the owner of the hotel for allowing these dangerous dogs to reside on the premises. Since you live in Nevada, you will need to consult with, and hire, a personal injury attorney in California to handle this case. This case sounds very promising, so you should not delay---hire an attorney to help you achieve justice for you and your pets.

3. Golnar Sargeant

1

Answered . I agree with the other two attorneys, and just want to add that unfortunately, since animals are considered personal property under the law, you are limited to the vet bills, and the decrease in value of your dog if you sue. Pain and suffering and emotional distress damages are not allowed for loss of, or damage to, personal property under the law.