Skip to main content

Our dog bite a 3yr old child, parents have filed a claim with our home insurance and retained an attorney, what is our next step

Fresno, CA |

About a month ago we were having friends over for a BBQ. I was out of the house and my husband was home when his friends showed up with their 3 yr old girl. The mother proceeded to take her daughter out back without my husband and moments later came in screaming the dog bite the child. Our 2 yr old dog bite the child, once a believe, and then stopped. She was stiched up and returned home the same night. My husband went over to their house a few days later to give the girl a stuff animal and check on her, also provided parents with insurance info to open a claim. The mother of the child stated the dog growled at the child a week before when they were over and the girl was playing with him but never mentioned this till now. They have retained an attorney and openned a claim.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 7


You should submit the claim to your insurance. If your insurance covers this type of a claim, your insurance will handle the claim on your behalf. You should provide all relevant information to your insurance to assist with the defense. If the claim is not covered you will need to consult with a defense attorney that handles dog bite cases.

This information is not intended as legal advice or to create an attorney-client relationship between you and any attorney. Such information is intended for general informational purposes only.



Claim has already been filed with our insurance, should we have any contact with the parents? they have been friends with my husband for many years

Mariam Mary Margaryan

Mariam Mary Margaryan


It would best serve both sides not to be in contact until the case is resolved.


Report this to your homeowner's carrier asap.

Personal injury cases only; I'm good at it; you be the Judge! All information provided is for informational and educational purposes only. No attorney client relationship has been formed or should be inferred. Please speak with a local and qualified attorney. I truly wish you and those close to you all the best. Jeff


If you have reported this matter to your carrier, and forwarded the letter from the attorney to your insurance company, that is all you need to do. Your insurance company will adjust the claim unless it is excluded by the terms of your policy. Good luck.

I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for general information only. They are not legal advice or counsel. Answers must not be relied upon. Legal advice and counsel must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice and counsel during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice or counsel in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for advice and counsel. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference


If the claim is open, your insurance company or their attorneys will let you know what if anything you need to do.


Dear Poster,

I am sorry this has happened to you. Do you have Homeowners' insurance? If so, let them know right away. They may be able to hire a lawyer and defend you. Otherwise, you will need to get an affordable defense attorney to assist you in this respect, and defend you from the claims.

I represent individuals and families defense cases - as so many lawyers on Avvo. Feel free to follow up with any of us for assistance.

Take care, and I am sorry this has happened to you.


Rabeh M. A. Soofi, Attorney
SOOFI | Legal Counsel
5670 Wilshire Blvd. – 18th Floor
Los Angeles, CA 90036
(213) 632-9390
(213) 986-3450 (fax) (email)

ATTORNEY ADVERTISING MATERIAL. Please know that I am providing you with general information, not legal advice. No attorney-client relationship will exist until a written agreement is signed by both parties. No promises, guarantees, or representations are made about the outcome of your case - lawsuits are unpredictable by nature and each case is unique.

*** ATTORNEY ADVERTISING MATERIAL *** I am providing you with general comments, not legal advice. Nothing in this answer creates an attorney-client relationship nor constitutes legal advice, as I do not know the facts of your case well enough to be able to guide you, nor am I making any promises about the outcome of your case, or any guarantees about my capabilities, skill level, or predicted success. If you would like to retain me to provide you with legal advice, please contact me and we can discuss the engagement.


Let your homeowner's insurance carrier resolve it


These are always difficult situations on a personal level, inasmuch as you may potentially be sued by a friend.

Just be sure to cooperate with your insurer with any questions they have for you. Obviously, notify them if you haven't done so already.

Get Avvo’s 3-part personal injury email series

A roundup of the best tips and legal advice.

Personal injury topics

Recommended articles about Personal injury

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer