Our CA landlord doesn't want to fix the sliding glass door that keeps sticking. Who's responsible for repairing it, us or him?

Temecula, CA |

We have been renting a home for 2 yrs now. My husband asked our landlord about fixing the sliding glass door because it's difficult to open and gets stuck. It's becoming more & more difficult to open and one time when it stopped abruptly I hurt my forearm which is now swollen. We told him about it a month ago and he said he would look into it, but now he's not interested and said it wasn't that way before and couldn't we just put wax on the bottom. He recently gave us 60 day's notice because he decided to sell his home and now he's not being cooperative at all. Should he fix it, especially since I already hurt my arm? Or do we have to fix it?

If the door does not work because it is old, and suffers from ordinary wear, the landlord mut fix it. If the door has been damages since you moved in, you are required to fix it. If the landlord refuses to honor the repair obligation, you should write to the landlord explaining that if the door is not repaired shortly (provide a date; 5-10 days is reasonable), then you will retain a repairman and deduct the repair costs from next month's rent. Be sure to include a copy of the receipt with your rent payment

See the information at the following link.
Repair and deduct at your own risk. Remember, your LL holds your deposit. It seems the wiser course may be to tough it out for the balance of your 60 day tenancy.
http://www.dca.ca.gov/publications/landlordbook/repairs.shtml
I

Thank you for the link. The problem with waiting is that the door often won't slide more than a 1/4 of the way open and you have to squeeze through. We use the door frequently on a daily basis to let the dog in and out, water the plants and do yard work etc. I certainly don't want to have to leave the house and walk around to the back of the house every time I want to go in the yard. We’re planning on sending him a written letter asking him to repair the door, but today he told us he closed his P.O. Box so now we don’t know where to send it; we have no other address for him. Is he required to give us an address or something?