Our 501c3 received a letter from a Revenue Officer asking for an in office meeting on Jan 7 to answer why we haven't paid back

Asked almost 2 years ago - Gainesville, FL

Taxes filed in early 2001 and 2002. The meeting is in a state over 900 mile from us! We cannot make the trip. My question is:Should we call the Revenue Officer ourself in an attempt to change date and venue? Or should we obtain counsel first and have them contact the Revenue Officer? Any insight or advice woud be greatly appreciated Thank you.

1. Andrew B Gordon

Pro

3

1

Best Answer

Answered . You should obtain a tax attorney to help you in this matter. If you cannot locate one before the date, call to attempt to reschedule.

Best of luck!

2. Ronald J Cappuccio

Pro

2

1

Answered . This question seems to have been asked several times. You need a tax lawyer right away. THe lawyer should speak with the Revenue Officer, not you.

I hope this helps!

Ron Cappuccio

3. Michael Charles Doland

1

1

Answered . The one thing you should not do is ignore the IRS. Either phoning or locating legal counsel to make the call are good alternatives.

4. Adam James O'Rourke

1

1

Answered . My first question is why is the revenue officer so far away? If you are in Gainesville, FL and presumably a non-profit of FL then you can request to have a local revenue officer work your case. This will allow you to have the meeting closer to your location. Also, this will by you a few months as the IRS reroutes the file to a local office. I recommend that you contact the revenue officer and discuss having a transfer. Follow up with a written demand letter even if the revenue officer agrees to the terms (and state the terms in the letter) just so you have a document trail of the conversation. Just like anyone, revenue officers forget to do what they said they would.

I recommend that you have local counsel control your activity and communication with the IRS as a competent representative should be able to help you will decide on which resolution option is correct for your business.