Our 501c3 received a letter from a Revenue Officer asking for an in office meeting on Jan 7 to answer why we haven't paid back

Gainesville, FL |

Taxes filed in early 2001 and 2002. The meeting is in a state over 900 mile from us! We cannot make the trip. My question is:Should we call the Revenue Officer ourself in an attempt to change date and venue? Or should we obtain counsel first and have them contact the Revenue Officer? Any insight or advice woud be greatly appreciated Thank you.

You should obtain a tax attorney to help you in this matter. If you cannot locate one before the date, call to attempt to reschedule.

Best of luck!

Andrew B Gordon is a CPA and attorney licensed to practice law in Illinois. The information provided here is for educational purposes only and is not intended as legal advice for a particular matter. This response does not create any attorney-client relationship with the author. For specific advice about your particular situation, please consult an attorney.

Thank You very much sir. I appreciate you taking time to answer.

Andrew B Gordon

Andrew B Gordon

Please do not hesitate to contact me if I can be of further assistance.

Andrew, I may do just that tommorw. I really need your excellent legal expertise!. I have your phone number on your page here and I am going to your web site. Our case has many more details I need to give you the whole picture I know...Also I really appreciated the comment someone made on your recomendations stating how you can make complicated legal IRS information understandable to the layman. That is a gift.. OK. Thank you for all your help so far. GOD BLESS YOU... Rev. W. M.

The one thing you should not do is ignore the IRS. Either phoning or locating legal counsel to make the call are good alternatives.

The above is general legal and business analysis. It is not "legal advice" but analysis, and different lawyers may analyse this matter differently, especially if there are additional facts not reflected in the question. I am not your attorney until retained by a written retainer agreement signed by both of us. I am only licensed in California. See also avvo.com terms and conditions item 9, incorporated as if it was reprinted here.

Thank You Sir. I really appreciate you taking time to answer us!

This question seems to have been asked several times. You need a tax lawyer right away. THe lawyer should speak with the Revenue Officer, not you.

I hope this helps!

Ron Cappuccio

My first question is why is the revenue officer so far away? If you are in Gainesville, FL and presumably a non-profit of FL then you can request to have a local revenue officer work your case. This will allow you to have the meeting closer to your location. Also, this will by you a few months as the IRS reroutes the file to a local office. I recommend that you contact the revenue officer and discuss having a transfer. Follow up with a written demand letter even if the revenue officer agrees to the terms (and state the terms in the letter) just so you have a document trail of the conversation. Just like anyone, revenue officers forget to do what they said they would.

I recommend that you have local counsel control your activity and communication with the IRS as a competent representative should be able to help you will decide on which resolution option is correct for your business.

Thank you so much for your input. It was invaluable. ( We discovered that the reason the letter came from an agent in Connecticut was, because of Hurricane Sandy, no area agents were attempting to collect at the time. So they were given files from other states to follow up). We are in the process of retaining counsel to help us. Thank you so much for taking time to give us such timely advise.

Adam James O'Rourke

Adam James O'Rourke

I am glad it helped. The IRS can be a tricky opponent but keeping everything documented will keep things moving in your favor. The IRS wants to work with taxpayers so you will find that they want a negotiated settlement just as much as you do. Usually on your terms. Best of luck!

Thank you so much Adam! I have heard such horror stories about the IRS. We have been through so much tragedy in our family over the last 10 years,we did not know if we even had the strength to deal with the IRS. Thank you so much for your encouragement! GOD Bless You Sir!

Tax law topics