Skip to main content

Our 501c3 received a letter from a Revenue Officer asking for an in office meeting on Jan 7 to answer why we haven't paid back

Gainesville, FL |

Taxes filed in early 2001 and 2002. The meeting is in a state over 900 mile from us! We cannot make the trip. My question is:Should we call the Revenue Officer ourself in an attempt to change date and venue? Or should we obtain counsel first and have them contact the Revenue Officer? Any insight or advice woud be greatly appreciated Thank you.

Attorney Answers 4

  1. Best answer

    You should obtain a tax attorney to help you in this matter. If you cannot locate one before the date, call to attempt to reschedule.

    Best of luck!

    Andrew B Gordon is a CPA and attorney licensed to practice law in Illinois. The information provided here is for educational purposes only and is not intended as legal advice for a particular matter. This response does not create any attorney-client relationship with the author. For specific advice about your particular situation, please consult an attorney.

  2. The one thing you should not do is ignore the IRS. Either phoning or locating legal counsel to make the call are good alternatives.

    The above is general legal and business analysis. It is not "legal advice" but analysis, and different lawyers may analyse this matter differently, especially if there are additional facts not reflected in the question. I am not your attorney until retained by a written retainer agreement signed by both of us. I am only licensed in California. See also terms and conditions item 9, incorporated as if it was reprinted here.

  3. This question seems to have been asked several times. You need a tax lawyer right away. THe lawyer should speak with the Revenue Officer, not you.

    I hope this helps!

    Ron Cappuccio

  4. My first question is why is the revenue officer so far away? If you are in Gainesville, FL and presumably a non-profit of FL then you can request to have a local revenue officer work your case. This will allow you to have the meeting closer to your location. Also, this will by you a few months as the IRS reroutes the file to a local office. I recommend that you contact the revenue officer and discuss having a transfer. Follow up with a written demand letter even if the revenue officer agrees to the terms (and state the terms in the letter) just so you have a document trail of the conversation. Just like anyone, revenue officers forget to do what they said they would.

    I recommend that you have local counsel control your activity and communication with the IRS as a competent representative should be able to help you will decide on which resolution option is correct for your business.

Tax-exempt finance topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics