Other than reconciliation, can I put my divorce on hold for financial reasons? I need to save money for a good attorney.

Chicago, IL |

We have not been for the status date yet. Can I ask to put the case on hold and for how long?
I also don't believe we can co-parent because of domestic issues and threats. If the judge won't allow me to hold for financial reasons, is mediation or counseling likely for a hold? I am the person that filed a petition or dissolution of marriage.

If there's a disparity of income, an interim attorney fee petition can be filed to "level the playing field." See 750 ILCS 5/501 & 508.

Talk to an attorney in your area for specific guidance.

2. You have asked the identical question twice. Yes, you can put your case on the reconciliation calendar for about 6 months, but this is not supposed to be used so parties can save up money to proceed. However, as previously stated, it appears you planned poorly for your case. If you do not have the money the proceed, you should not have filed in the first lace. You can hold out taking action but at some point in time, you will be required to go before the court for case management. You can of course, get your parenting class out of the way. In cook County, that is called Focus on Children. You must appear in court to get an Order for Focus. Both parties must go, but not to the same session. Your other alternative is to voluntarily dismiss the case and file again when you are ready.

3. Is there a dispute over visitation and custody? If there is the mediation process in Cook V
    County is free and will effectively put the case in hold for a few months.
    However if you use the process to buy yourself time then you are just being selfish and denying people with real disputes a chance to have their cases mediated.