Other party @100% fault in California do I fall under prop 213 if I had no insurance but legally sold the car?

Orange, CA |

Late August I have decided not to renew my insurance because my maturity date on my loan was coming up on 9/20. I was preparing to sell my vehicle because during the five year period I was granted several extensions which differed a total amount of $6500. Total payoff as of 9/17/2012 was $7200 included late fees. I sold the car as of 9/17/2012 agreed upon $10500 with third party. The check was written out to my financial company in which I was instructed that once they received the check they would minus my payoff and send the title to me with the remainder . the buyer and I agreed upon that once I received title back from the financial that then I would release the vehicle with title to buyer. The condition is written under the bill of sale and release of liab dated 9/17/2012 continue>>>

As of 9/19/2012 I was involved in a accident in a shopping mall where the other party is at fault. I made a claim already and the other parties insurance company which is some truck exchange company claimed 100% liability. In addition to the property damage in which they paid already my medical bills are coming out to 7500 and a loss of income to 8000. So far injury consists of a herniated disk and my injury will not improve so they will consider me to be perm disabled. I do understand that they will pay for any economic bills but as for trying to collect on non economic injuries would I fall under prop 213 with my current situation.

1. Prop 213 prevents recovery by the injured party for emotional distress pain and suffering damages. It does not prevent suing for economic damages like loss of earnings, medical costs, or property damage.

Disclaimer The information on this site is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. Please contact us to obtain legal advice pertaining to your situation. The transmission of information by this Website does not create an attorney-client relationship with SOLOMON, SALTSMAN & JAMIESON or any of the firm's attorneys. The relationship would require direct contact between you and the firm through one or more attorneys, and would also require an agreement that confirms that a relationship is established, and the terms of that relationship. The invitation to contact the firm is not a solicitation to provide professional services, and should not be construed as a statement as to the availability of any of SOLOMON, SALTSMAN & JAMIESON attorneys to perform legal services in any jurisdiction in which such attorney is not permitted to practice. None of the communications transmitted via the Website constitutes a confidential communication, or creates an attorney-client relationship. This Website contains information on legal issues, and is not a substitute for legal advice from a qualified attorney licensed in the appropriate jurisdiction. The rules, regulations, case law, and statutory references to requirements are subject to revision and interpretation. Unless otherwise noted, SOLOMON, SALTSMAN & JAMIESON make no representation, warranty or claim that the information available here is current or accurate. SOLOMON, SALTSMAN & JAMIESON is not responsible for any errors or omissions in the resources or information available at or from this Web site or any pages or links to which anyone may connect thru or within this website. Confidential Communications E-mail from or to Solomon, Saltsman & Jamieson and/or its clients is covered by the Electronic Communications Privacy Act, 18 U.S.C. 2510-2521 and is legally privileged and protected. The information contained in this communication is confidential and if directed to a client, or between lawyers or experts for a client, is intended by the sender to be subject to the attorney-client and attorney work product privileges. This information may constitute inside information, may be subject to further restrictions on disclosure by contract or other binding agreement, and is intended only for the use of the intended recipient. This communication is the property of Solomon, Saltsman & Jamieson and/or its clients. Any unauthorized use, disclosure or copying of this communication or any part thereof is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received Email communication in error, please notify us immediately by return e-mail or by e-mail to sjamieson@ssjlaw.com, and then destroy this communication and all copies thereof, including all attachments.

2. If the vehicle is uninsured at the time of the collision regardless of it being owner by you or a third party, then you likely will be a 213. There are a couple of exceptions to the rule. See Califirnia Civil Code Section 3333.4. You should speak to an attomey to discuss in further detail whether your case falls under prop 213 or not before making any decisions in your case.

Marc Lazarus
    www.russellandlazarus.com

3. I concur with previous counsels' comments.

Mason & Associates
    8200 Wilshire Blvd. Suite 200
    Beverly Hills, CA 90211
    877-288-6230 O
    323-944-0413 F

4. A California attorney here can answer all your questions.

Tim

5. Don't play lawyer...retain one.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755 www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com

6. i do not understand your question? Were you driving the car that you had already sold? Were you driving another uninsured car? Not addressing any other concerns but just the lack of prop 213, you are not entitled to recover for pain and suffering. Best of luck.

This answer is provided by Manuel A. Juarez, Esq., aka El Abogado de Accidentes de California: 510-206-4492. It is of a general context and is not intended to form an attorney client relationship. I am licensed only in California. This information is good only in California and it is not to be taken as legal advice on accident, personal injury, divorce, bankruptcy or in any other type of situation. Esta respuesta es del Abogado de Accidentes y Lesiones personales, Manuel A. Juárez, 510-206-4492. Abogado Hispano de Accidentes, Divorcios, Abogado Latino de Accidentes, y Abogado de Bancarrotas de Oakland, Hayward, San Francisco, y California. Estas respuesta son solo para información general y no consisten en consejo legal sobre divorcios, mantención de esposas, mantención de hijos o bancarrotas. Las respuestas son comentarios legales que no forman una relación de abogado y cliente. Manuel Juarez, Esq., esta licenciado solo en el Estado de California.

7. I agree with Attorney Lassen. You should not attempt to settle this on your own. I would be glad to discuss this case with you. I do offer free consultations.
    Check out my website below and give me a call for a free consultation if you are a California resident 877-427-2752 or you can email me at Michael@Kingofpersonalinjurylaw.com

www. KingofPersonalInjuryLaw.com

I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for general information only. They are not legal advice. Answers must not be relied upon. Legal advice must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for legal advice. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference

Check out my website below and give me a call for a free consultation if you are a California resident 877-427-2752 or you can email me at Michael@Kingofpersonalinjurylaw.com www. KingofPersonalInjuryLaw.com I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for general information only. They are not legal advice. Answers must not be relied upon. Legal advice must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for legal advice. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference

8. An owner or driver is reqd to have liability insurance. If you had no insurance personally, did the car? Did the buyer have insurance in force before you gave him the car? If so, you are ok. You will need to get proof from him that the car was covered. Hopefully he will be cooperative. If he hadnt added the car to his policy yet, he has a small number of days to notify his company that he has a newly acquired car. He may have ins as he was buying this as a second car, or maybe he was buying this one and then was going to sell his current car. It may only be 10-15 days from date of purchase to formally add it to coverage. Need to check his policy. If he didnt have any insurance yet, you are out of luck. Lesson is never cancel insurance until you have notified the dmv of transfer of the vehicle.

9. Are the agreements you specified authenticated in writing? The short answer is that you need to consult with a local attorney to review all the details of your case.